Tech Tip: How to Deploy Office ProPlus with Microsoft Intune
Written by Travis Hall | Microsoft Consultant | Champion Solutions Group
Deploying Office ProPlus to your Windows 10 machines has never been easier. Microsoft Intune gives administrators an easy to use and enterprise-ready platform for not only deploying the latest version of Office ProPlus, but also removing previous versions of Office 2010/2013/2016 as well.
This method of deploying Office ProPlus can also be used in conjunction with Windows Autopilot to further streamline the end user experience with Windows devices.
NOTE: Office ProPlus can also be deployed to Intune managed macOS clients using this method, however this article will focus on Windows 10 clients only.
First things first
Before deploying Office ProPlus apps to your clients, take a moment to review the following prerequisites:
- Devices to which you deploy these apps must be running the Windows 10 Creators Update or later.
- Intune supports adding Office apps from the Office 365 suite only.
- If any Office apps are open when Intune installs the app suite, the installation might fail, and users might lose data from unsaved files.
- This installation method is not supported on Windows 10 S, Windows Home, Windows Team, Windows Holographic, or Windows Holographic for Business devices.
- Intune does not support installing Office 365 desktop apps from the Microsoft Store (known as Office Centennial apps) on a device to which you have already deployed Office 365 apps with Intune. If you install this configuration, it might cause data loss or corruption.
- Multiple required or available app assignments are not additive. A later app assignment will overwrite pre-existing installed app assignments. For example, if the first set of Office apps contains Word, and the later one does not, Word will be uninstalled. This condition does not apply to any Visio or Project applications.
- Office version – Choose whether you want to assign the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office. You can install the 32-bit version on both 32-bit and 64-bit devices, but you can install the 64-bit version on 64-bit devices only.
- Remove MSI from end-user devices – Choose whether you want to remove pre-existing Office .MSI apps from end-user devices. The installation won’t succeed if there are pre-existing .MSI apps on end-user devices. The apps to be uninstalled are not limited to the apps selected for installation in Configure App Suite, as it will remove all Office (MSI) apps from the end user device. For more information, see Remove existing MSI versions of Office when upgrading to Office 365 ProPlus. When Intune reinstalls Office on your end user’s machines, end users will automatically get the same language packs that they had with previous .MSI Office installations.
To get started, navigate to the Intune portal and go to the Client Apps section as follows:
- Sign in to the Azure portal.
- Select All Services > Intune. Intune is located in the Monitoring + Management section.
- In the Intune pane, select Client apps.
- In the Client apps workload pane, under Manage, select Apps.
- Select Add.
- In the Add apps pane, in the App type list, under Office 365 Suite, select Windows 10.
Configure App Suite
Select the Office apps that you want to assign to devices.
- In the Add App pane, select Configure App Suite.
- In the Configure App Suite pane, select the standard Office apps that you want to assign to devices.
Additionally, you can install apps for the Microsoft Project Online desktop client and Microsoft Visio Pro for Office 365, if you own licenses for them.
- Select OK.
Configure App Information
In this step, you provide information about the app suite. This information helps you to identify the app suite in Intune, and it helps users to find the app suite in the company portal.
- In the Add Apppane, select App Suite Information.
- In the App Suite Informationpane, do the following:
- Suite Name: Enter the name of the app suite as it is displayed in the company portal. Make sure that all suite names that you use are unique. If the same app suite name exists twice, only one of the apps is displayed to users in the company portal.
- Suite Description: Enter a description for the app suite. For example, you could list the apps you’ve selected to include.
- Publisher: Microsoft appears as the publisher.
- Category: Optionally, select one or more of the built-in app categories or a category that you created. This setting makes it easier for users to find the app suite when they browse the company portal.
- Display this as a featured app in the Company Portal: Select this option to display the app suite prominently on the main page of the company portal when users browse for apps.
- Information URL: Optionally, enter the URL of a website that contains information about this app. The URL is displayed to users in the company portal.
- Privacy URL: Optionally, enter the URL of a website that contains privacy information for this app. The URL is displayed to users in the company portal.
- Developer: Microsoft appears as the developer.
- Owner: Microsoft appears as the owner.
- Notes: Enter any notes that you want to associate with this app.
- Logo: The Office 365 logo is displayed with the app when users browse the company portal.
- Select OK.
Configure App Settings
In this step, configure installation options for the app suite. The settings apply to all apps that you added to the suite.
- In the Add App pane, select App Suite Settings.
- In the App Suite Settings pane, do the following:
- Office version: Choose whether you want to assign the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office. You can install the 32-bit version on both 32-bit and 64-bit devices, but you can install the 64-bit version on 64-bit devices only.
- Update Channel: Choose how Office is updated on devices. For information about the various update channels, see Overview of update channels for Office 365 ProPlus. Choose from:
- Monthly (Targeted)
- Semi-Annual (Targeted)
After you choose a channel, you can optionally select Specific to install a specific version of Office for the selected channel on end user devices. Then, select the Specific version of Office to use.
The available versions will change over time. Therefore, when creating a new deployment, the versions available may be newer and not have certain older versions available. Current deployments will continue to deploy the older version, but the version list will be continually updated per channel.
For devices that update their pinned version (or update any other properties) and are deployed as available, the reporting status will show as Installed if they installed the previous version until the device check-in occurs. When the device check-in happens, the status will temporarily change to Unknown, however it will not be shown to the user. When the user initiates the install for the newer available version, the user will see the status changed to Installed.
For more information, see Overview of update channels for Office 365 ProPlus.
- Remove MSI from end-user devices– Choose whether you want to remove pre-existing Office .MSI apps from end-user devices. The installation won’t succeed if there are pre-existing .MSI apps on end-user devices. The apps to be uninstalled are not limited to the apps selected for installation in Configure App Suite, as it will remove all Office (MSI) apps from the end user device. For more information, see Remove existing MSI versions of Office when upgrading to Office 365 ProPlus. When Intune reinstalls Office on your end user’s machines, end users will automatically get the same language packs that they had with previous .MSI Office installations.
- Automatically accept the app end user license agreement: Select this option if you don’t require end users to accept the license agreement. Intune then automatically accepts the agreement.
- Use shared computer activation: Select this option when multiple users share a computer. For more information, see Overview of shared computer activation for Office 365.
- Languages: Office is automatically installed in any of the supported languages that are installed with Windows on the end-user’s device. Select this option if you want to install additional languages with the app suite.
You can deploy additional languages for Office 365 Pro Plus apps managed through Intune. The list of available languages includes the Type of language pack (core, partial, and proofing). In the Azure portal, select Microsoft Intune > Client apps> Apps > Add. In the App type list of the Add app blade, select Windows 10 under Office 365 Suite. Select Languages in the App Suite Settings blade. For additional information, see Overview of deploying languages in Office 365 ProPlus.
Assign the App
Now that the application has been configured and is ready, the only thing left to do is assign the O365 ProPlus apps to the correct users/groups in Intune. To do this we have two options: Required or Available.
- In the Appspane, select the newly created ‘Office ProPlus (O365)’ application.
- In the Managesection of the menu, select Assignments.
- Select Add Groupto open the Add group pane that is related to the app.
- For the specific app, select an assignment type:
- Available for enrolled devices: Assign the app to groups of users who can install the app from the Company Portal app or website.
- Required: The app is installed on devices in the selected groups. Some platforms may have additional prompts for the end user to acknowledge before app installation begins.
- To select the groups of users that are affected by this app assignment, select Included Groups.
- After you have selected one or more groups to include, select Select.
- In the Assignpane, select OK to complete the included groups selection.
- In the app Assignmentspane, select Save.
Setting the assignment to ‘Required’ will automatically push the application and the uninstall of old Office versions to enrolled devices that are part of the assigned groups. ‘Available’ will simply show the Office ProPlus app as available for download to the users in the Company Portal, but it will require the user(s) to initiate the deployment.
For more information email email@example.com